+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do about exposed wood? (On boat)

Sleigher Guest

Default What to do about exposed wood? (On boat)

Hi guys,
    What is the best method to cover and protect exposed wood?
    I'm talking about in the bilge and or around hatches and my hause pipe.
    I need a method that is relatively easy and looks decent.
    Thanks in advance.

Peter

Default exposed wood

Pete- have you considered a spray in bed liner like lineX or Rhino linings? Might be a good option for you. I am thinking of having my decks and fish holds done this way. Good luck!
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"
    1982 Blackman Fishmachine 20

Sleigher Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to wonder if only I could see the post.
    I'm talking about the existing wood like the bulkheads(?) that separate the compartments and the edges of ply-wood.
    Some of them were coated before. I don't know if this would be gel-coat or paint?
    I haven't done any gel-coat yet. But I was wondering if I should mix up some FG resin and just paint the areas to encapsulate?
    Thanks again.

Peter

The Moo Fish is in the Work Boat category when it comes to cosmetics--any work has to be easy, cheap, and doable with the hands of stone. Exposed plywood can be encapsulated with epoxy resin thinned minimally with acetone. The polyester resins will crack. You can color match with the one part epoxys. The teak rails, plates, etc. I rub with linseed oil cut with thinner. If you use 200 grit wet / dry sandpaper as an applicator, you will build up a fine slurry that will fill the pores, etc. After a few applications, the teak begins to look like ebony.....rt

Default exposed wood

For small areas of exposed wood, I use 4200 as a caulk for cracks and voids and paint with a one part poly urathane paint that matches the color. Last time I did it was 3 years ago and it is still looking fine. I use petit easy poxy or zpar (same company)topside paint in grand banks beige. I suppose gell coat would work but might crack also what RT said, and use thinned out epoxy. The west systems stuff is really strong but cost a bit more. Good luck! and dont bother with the underside of the deck. Don told me that is left bare for a reason, so moisture dosent stay trapped in the wood.
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"
    1982 Blackman Fishmachine 20

Sleigher Guest

Default Thanks

I think I'll try that. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information