#0, Fishing season prep list
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-30-03 at 11:29 AM

OK, I've got too much time on my hands here at the office.
If anyone is interested, here's my list of items to get done before the upcoming season (2004).
1. Replace lower end gears, shaft and re-assemble.
2. Replace bearings on trailer.
3. Grind deck, repair crack on deck, and re-surface.
4. Repair all gelcoat cracks and fill holes and polish gelcoat (all around).
5. Strip and re-varnish teak rub rail.
6. Replace deteriorated deck hardware.
7. Replace all engine filters (air/fuel/oil).
8. Fix auto pilot.
9. Clean and Lubricate all moving parts.
10. Test all systems including extinguishers and pumps.

Oh ya, and update all licenses.

Whew, I'm beat just thinking about all that!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Fishing season prep list
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-30-03 at 05:12 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-03 AT 05:13 PM (PST)

Scott get your priorities straight. That a good list but you've got to mix in a little fun in there some where.
See if this list works better for you.
1. Replace lower end gears, shaft and re-assemble. (this must be number 1 on the list, good call)
2. Replace bearings on trailer.
3. Make a test run on the gear set and land a Lingcod over 15 pound while your out. Collect 45 point.
4. Fix auto pilot.
5. Replace all engine filters (air/fuel/oil).
6. Test all systems including extinguishers and pumps.
7. Make a long test run to check out auto pilot and land a 10 pound Rockcod while your out. Collect 50 point.

8. Bump everything else to next years list and get back to putting some points on the board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Fishing season prep list
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Dec-31-03 at 08:38 AM
In response to message #1

Darn Mike,
You're right again. What was I thinking. Thanks for the sanity check! Happy New Year! Points, Points, Points!

#3, RE: Fishing season prep list
Posted by Old_Blue on Jan-05-04 at 10:04 PM
In response to message #0

Hey Scott, how ya doin?
If you get the knack of doing nice gelcoat repair I would like to hang out and pick up a few pointers if you don't mind. Old Blue could use some sprucing up!

I don't know what your level of experience is but I recently resurfaced my deck after making some minor repairs and it was a good learning experience.

The most surprising thing I found out was that you have to add some kind of wax to the gelcoat in addition to the catalyst in order for it to cure nice and hard, the way the rest of the gelcoat on our boats is. Steve at the shop told me that it makes it cure in a way that leaves it more durable and less susceptable to solvents etc. He dosed some of my gelcoat with the wax and sure enough it cured noticeably different than gelcoat without it. I would stop by the shop and have him add it to yours when you get ready to do your work.
Also ask him the name of the shop where they get their gelcoat from ( I forgot - too long ago and too many beers ago) you can go and get a gallon which is the minimum sale, for about $45. They have the Blackman biege color mix on the computor and will whip up a gallon for you. You'll probably want 2 gals for the deck of the Yellowfin. Steve will probably have some helpful tips re your deck and cosmetic repairs, like what resin to use and techniques etc. I had some leftover in the garage that I would have given you but it doesn't seem to keep forever after the wax is added to it and I just threw it out. Steve will also let you know what grit of sand to use in your nonskid and fill you in on the technique. When its time to do the nonskid resurfacing two guys would be helpful to get the most even finish. If I can answer any questions or help out let me know, I'm in the hood.

Brian on Old Blue

#4, RE: Fishing season prep list
Posted by Wizard on Jan-06-04 at 06:06 PM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-04 AT 06:06 PM (PST)

One of the many things on my list (I should post it but it's too long - haha) is to redo the non-skid on my deck and possibly do some minor gelcoat work. So, that said, I also volunteer to come learn/help with such projects if the opportunity comes up.
Wizard
"The Reel One"
26' Billfisher