+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autopilot Poll

Fire Escape -

There are settings available on the Simrad that affect how the unit repsonds to changes in sea conditions. This adjustment might help fix your problem.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

tortuga Guest

Mike I have the same steering on my 1985, I have the original 40B with 2300Hrs on it . My Benmar has only worked once since I have had the boat ,It made it all the way from Two Harbors to Channel Islands habor and that was that! The replacement I was thinking about is a Simrad AP14R so I can use the remote from down below. I need to get the number off the steering cable and make sure it's compatible, I don't think it will work With all cables. Hope this helps! Don.

Mike (Mac Attack)

Call Steve at Blackman's if that is factory and see what they install. Sounds like a crazy setup. My opinion, you would still want hydraulic. I don't know of a cable system that would install in that kind of setup, and the wheel would turn all day when on auto. Most of us, our wheel does nothing, doesn't steer at all if turned, when auto is on (an issue we teach rookies FIRST when we say 'watch the helm while I run downstairs for a sec')
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

tortuga Guest

Glenn that's how my benmar works. the drive motor is under the steering wheel and when the auto pilot is on the wheel turns? .. when it worked! Don.

Sounds like you benmar guys need to clean the contacts in the control unit. See an earlier post for a quick how to. http://www.bocaboard.com/forum/showt...ghlight=benmar

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I don't have a Benmar but everyone I know who has one raves as to the reliability. Like NoSlack says clean the contacts. If that doesn't do it the factory is in Garden Grove or Santa Ana and they take care of things fast and cheap price.
    For those of us who have hydraulic steering (with a leak) that is the root of alot of problems we may blame on the AP. When I track the leak and fix it my AP is great that's when I stop looking for problems with the AP and look for fluid around the fittings.
    Hijole

Blackman likes the SITEX SP-70 my boat has it and it works great with hydraulic steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard
    Most of us, our wheel does nothing, doesn't steer at all if turned, when auto is on

If you turn the wheel fast on mine, it will override the autopilot, but the minute you stop it goes back to the course set into the autopilot..... Good for fast corrections around sailboats Very funny to leave someone steering with the autopilot on. I can also steer the boat with the controller (using the hydraulic pump) with the autopilot in standby......very funny when someone is trying to steer using the wheel....
    Phil

chrisc Guest

Default Simrad AP11 works well

I also have a Simrad AP11 on my billfisher 26 (sorry, not an outdrive model) and have not had a problem since it was installed (over 3 yrs. now). It even works well in following seas, though I turn it off if I'm doing some serious surfing down swell.

Regards, Chris.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information