+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top speed of a Outerbanks?

Al

Most of my experience is with the older AQAD40 engines, but I would say you could benefit for a cooler cleaning.

You can hit the designed wide open throttle RPM, so I would think your props are the correct size for the load you are pushing. If you're propped right, you shouldn't have a temperature problem running at full throttle for short periods of time. On my engine I would consider anything over 200 a real problem. (some of you 41 guys chime in here if that engine likes to run hotter)

Back to the cooler cleaning. I came up with a way on the 40 to circulate a mild acid/water solution through the raw water system using a spare pump and a few hoses. The first time I did the flush, I saw a significant drop in running temp, and now consider this to be a 2 year maintenance item.

I you'd like to get together and talk engines some time, give me a call.
    I'm just over the hill in Spring Valley.

Mike 465-1617
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike I'm with you I think it's foolish to run above 190- 200 for any extended length of time because a catastrophy is waiting just around the corner.

Al,

Mike's right, it wouldn't hurt to clean or even send your heat exchangers in for service, but if you stayed @ 3000 or less you could probably hold out until next season if you don't mind keeping a careful eye on the guages. She seems to be propped right and I'll bet your best fuel economy might be at the 16-18 knot range, it's nice to know your boat can attain and maintain that speed easily. Yes the props or shafts might be tweaked slightly to produce the vibration you're experiencing which is common. I think you found a sweet ride!

Al,

If you don't already have a couple spare impeller sets onboard you might get some. Once you start runnung above 200 degrees those things start to detereorate fast.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information