+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody had trim tab problems

Default Has anybody had trim tab problems

Pulled the boat out off the water(Thanks Jeff for the uses of the trailer) and found my trimtabs bent. They are both bent in the same spots. I have been is some very rought seas but dont think they should have bent and I have never hit anyting. Has anybody had problem with their tabs? Joe

Last edited by Honeygirl; 01-22-2007 at 10:20 AM.

The symmetry of the problem probably rules out an impact while underway. Only two possibilites come to mind:

1) The tabs are frozen at the hinge and, since they can't pivot, they bent when you tried to put them down.

2) I know the boat stays in the water for the most part but could they ever have been down when it was put on a trailer?

Default never ends

The Bennett Company has determined what is happening is call cupping caused by a stern heavy boat. The added weight with my bait tank (110gallons, larger 300horse motor and the 5 D31 batteries) are just too much for that size trim tab. They would like me to send the old ones to them before they send out replacements. What a headache. Joe

What is the force that actually causes the bending? Too heavy of a boat moving too fast (F=m*dv/dt)? Are they offering to replace them for free?

Also, your batteries are in the stern?

They are going to replace them with a new(used) set of 12X24's with uprights for incressed strength. I just have to pay for shipping. The best would be to use a set of 9x30's but I do not have the room and I do not want to redrill and repair the gelcoat.
    My batteries are in the stern. They came from blackman that way. Are the batteries in the billfisher in a diffrent spot?

On the 23's, at least, the batteries are up in berth under the cushions. It's supposed to trim the boat out a little which makes sense, considering a 6-cyl diesel in a 23 footer would usually make for a center of flotation that's pretty far aft.

I would like to move the batteries More midship. Most likely in to the fishhold. on my 26 there is a ton of wasted space in the fish hold and to fill it with ice to keep anything cold cost an arm and a leg.

Very interesting,

Tenacious is on a trailer and I inspect the trip tabs after every outing. Never seen anything resembling a bend in them. I have the AD-41 with 4 batteries in the stern and with the full bait tank I am probably stern heavy too but, just doesn't seem like they should bend like that?

Cool that they will replace them.
    Tenacious

The Bennett Company is sending the tabs out today 2nd day air. He stated that it is a common problem on boat when the tabs are under sized. With the combined weight and higher speed I run at 26-28knots cruise 24knots the smaller tabs could not handle it. I’m going to try 12x24 on this up coming trip and see how it goes. He wants to make a custom set with built in uprights at $300 I think I will make my own and call it good. Joe

BINGO - I'm sure your speed has alot to do with it!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information