+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedros/Benitos Island trip set

Default Cedros/Benitos Island trip set

It looks like the trip dates are firm. Departing August 6 and returning August 17. Tenacious and Patron will be fishing the waters of central Baja. We would welcome any additional boats if anyone is interested.

I'm hoping to get a little help from the club with one item. I need to tote along an additional 40 gallons of fuel and I don't have any fuel bladders. As of now I have several 5 gallon plastic fuel containers but would prefer to borrow or purchase some containers that are between 10 and 15 gallons each. Do any of you have any of these containers you could sell or let me borrow?

Thanks much,
    Scott

What about a plastic 50 gal drum ?

Jeff,

I'm not sure where I would put the 50 gal drum on deck? Have you used it before? Where did you place it?

Thanks

I haven't used them for fuel, I use them for water on desert trips. They are used Coke Syrup Barrels $25 each off Morena Blvd & Sherman St. I would possibly make a curved rack with 2 skids to lay it down on and tie it up securely on the foredeck over the cabin hatch similar to where guys put their emergency raft case. Just a thought, however that's 300# minimum and it would wreck havoc with your railings if it got loose!

Jeff,

Thanks but, I don't think that I could manage that kind of weight centered in one spot. Especially, like you said if it got loose there would be some trouble.

I'll keep looking. I prefer either bladders (which could be easily stowed after using or plastic containers which I could distribute evenly for weight/ballast.

Default cedros/benitos island

Scott,
    I am 90% sure Knot Now will make the trip. I have a crew member lined up and ....

you might try Labe Safety for your container....
    Most likely their price will be HIGH, but it will give you some ideas...

http://www.labsafety.com/search/defa...&dept_id=10936

Phil

I have 6- 5 gal plastic containers. I use them for diesel for the boat when I don't want to tow to a station.
    You are welcome to use
    Hijole

I am interested in this trip, if I can get my regular crew and I don't get invite to my Marlin fishing tournaments this year... I'l keep watching for updates here.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Pepe,
    Thanks for the offer. I also have the 5 gallon containers and if I can't come up with a little better solution than having 6 or 8 five gallon containers spread out around the boat then that will be my solution.

Phil/Glenn,
    Glad you are both interested. Please let Yale and I know how things pan out for you being able to make the trip with us.

Yale and I have met to discuss and plan and we are in agreement that the trip should focus on fun and relaxation and not push too hard to get there fast. With boats loaded we will probably be cruising less than 10 knots (trolling speed) from Ensenada to the Cedros area. This means probably anchoring at San Martin and then again at Isla Geronimo and including some inshore fishing for calicos and yellowtail.

Scott

Default Advanced scouting complete!

Just got back from, a 5 day on the independance. First stop was Guadalupe, nothing going there. Few rats and calicos but it was clear the Lupe was not the answer. Thank goodness the skipper made a quick call to cut and run and head to Cedros/Natividad. After a long run we joined the Royal Star chasing bird schools inside the South end of Natividad. We hit a nice grade of yellows in the 20 Lb range that loved the iron. We then ran up to Cedros for some nice 30-50 lb class yellows and a nice halibut that went close to 40. Worked that routine for the better part of the day and then motored up and inside of Cedros. Found a nice cove that put out some home guards at dusk. Hit my personal best with a 38 pounder. Seas were lumpy with 30 knot gusts and 15 foot swells according to the skipper. Pictures on the way, going to bed.
    Last edited by Nomad; 06-17-2006 at 10:28 AM.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information