+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuffed Halibut

Default Stuffed Halibut

#0, Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by NoSlack on Apr-22-03 at 06:23 PM

Ingredients:
    Large halibut filet 1"-1 1/2" thick (20+ pounder)
    Wild rice side dish mix
    Crab meat
    Real Mayonnaise (NOT MIRACLE WHIP)
    Oregano

Combine 1/3 of the cooked rice side dish with a few spoonfuls of crab meat. Go ease on the crab, it will overpower the halibut.

Cut a pocket in the halibut and stuff with the rice and crab mix.

Place the stuffed halibut in a pan and brush both sides of the filets with Mayonnaise (not as thick as cake frosting, but be generous with the Mayo. Sprinkle with spices.

Cook in the broiler until the halibut starts to brown, flip and brown the other side. Keep an eye on it, 5 minutes and you're ready to flip.

Top with your favorite sauce and serve with the remaining rice.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by Tuba8 on Apr-23-03 at 06:14 AM
    In response to message #0

My mouth is watering now all I need is a halibut
    Thank you

it looks great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by Professor on Apr-23-03 at 10:36 AM

I'm not a big halibut fan but I can see a Red headed in this direction soon.

#3, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by Captn_Hook on Apr-24-03 at 04:19 AM

Ummm Ummmm! I love Halibut. What kind of secret sauce is that topped with?

#5, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by NoSlack on Apr-24-03 at 06:12 PM
    In response to message #3

The sauce is nothing special. It's a packaged garlic and herb pasta sauce mix that you would use on a shell type pasta. I'm no genius in the kitchen, so I use a lot of pre-packaged stuff when it's my turn to cook.
    Mike

#4, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by Yellowfin1 on Apr-24-03 at 06:14 AM

Not only are you the expert halibut catcher, looks like you're the master butt chef too!

#6, RE: Stuffed Halibut
    Posted by NoSlack on Apr-24-03 at 06:18 PM
    In response to message #4

I've ruined my fair share of halibut until someone turned me on to the Mayo trick. Halibut dries out faster that any other fish I've ever cooked. The Mayo keeps the fish moist and looks good when it browns up. It sound gross to smear Mayo on fish, but it works out great.
    Mike

Pistolero Guest

Just another idea for the sauce for the halibut.....1/2 stick of butter melted in pot/pan, 4Tb shallots, diced...saute minute or two.....add cup of diced tomato,,,stir around for minute or two......add tablespoon or two of flour and continue saute until flour almost starts to brown. Add 1/2 cup white wine(dry), and 1 cup of whipping cream. As it thickens, add fresh sliced or dry basil. Serve over stuffed halibut.

So Mike,

Are ya gonna fix up a mess of that stuffed halibut for our end of season ho down?

Scott

Jose,

That sauce is awesome isn't. I've used that one for a while except instead of tomatos, I've used red bell peppers. Then when it has all reduces I'll blend it for 30 seconds or so. Been meaning to slice up some jalapenos and add them too. Have you tried that?

Scott

If you're requesting stuffed halibut, I better dredge up a few more pounds before the BBQ.

I was thinking the second and third place skippers in the BOCA tournament could do the cooking this year.

If you guys score on the BET this week I could find myself back on KP real fast.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

OK Mike,

I guess that's fair. That will give us some motivation to fish harder anyway. Lets see I only need about a 200lb bigeye to catch up to you. Shouldn't be too hard. If I keep up this fishing schedule I'll be divorced by the end of the season but, at least that will free up my schedule to fish next year. Lets see I can make seared ahi pretty well but, first I have to catch the fish. I'm with Glenn, I have to fish twice as often to make up for my lack of fishing knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information