+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weds PM Offshore

Default Weds PM Offshore

Made an appearance at work this morning then joined my son Chris at the boat by 11AM for a shot at the billfish points and I must admit feeling a little cocky. Loaded a few macks from the receiver and a 1/2 scoop of EB Dines and we're off towards the 182,224 ,230 and beyond. Navy Warship#52 is doing magnetic checks while circling 5 miles off off the jetty; after realigning our course to their satisfaction Chris yells SWORDY off the starboard bow and takes the helm while I pin a bait on my Avet swordy setup. This fish is booking up the coast and it's hard for Chris to get in front. The fish doesn't look like a monster but something about the dorsal is different. When I cast the mack it ends up even with the fish and about 20 feet short, the fish stops and turns and we both get a better look, HAMMERHEAD! Oh well, the shark swims by the bait and heads in a different direction, I put the next cast on his nose and he keeps going. We pick up and find a paddy @ 7.5nm to pull a rat YT off of, I pop one off with a backlash! Whales all over the outside of the 9; another buddy hit outside the middle for a huge kelp that pumped out quite a few nice fish. We continued to inside the 182 where Chris snaps a 10-12# dodo off on a paddy, that was it. We head towards 2224,302, and 230 and it's a dead zone. Chased a radio report 15nm west for nothing, but mucho seiners and accessories just inside the East Butterfly. Came back into the 9 late and baited a nice Mako (100-150#) but no luck. Found the paddy my buddy fished earlier and Chris hooked and fought a 15# dodo for 10 min only to have it spit the hook just out of reach. Beautiful calm ocean, sunny afternoon. I think there is just as much action along the drop off as there is down south. No sign of Billfish for us though.

Well at least you got out Jeff. Sounds like you did everything right. I guess those hammerhead fins are pretty similar to a swordfish fin. I'm sure you'll get you marlin soon.

Scott

I'll hit the 9 thursday after work if the wind stays calm. If the wind comes up I'll be back after the flat meat.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Got in a good whale watching trip but no yellows or dorado.

I'll have to devote a full day next week to the offshore stuff.

Mike

My buddy is going long (295) Friday, hopefully I'll get a report to post Fri Night. We were going to buddy boat but something came up ($3.50/gallon) so I couldn't (wouldn't) make it.

I'v got to work all weekend so I'll have a little extra pocket change next week to waist on fuel.

Red on tap for $2.80 at the truck stop.

Mike

With my MBMC Discount it was $3.14/gal @ 123.5 gallons last week at Dana Landing
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 07-21-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Looks like it's well worth it to trailer down to SOCAL truck stop. I love that place. A bonus are the outstanding ice cream bars thaey have there. If you are military retiree or active duty or a dependent you can get diesel for about $3.05 per gal at MCRD or the Navy Exchange station on Nimitz and Rosecrans.

I think I'll just move to Mexico, $1.79 a gallon for diesel at the Coral Marina a couple of weeks ago.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Friday at 11:30 it's $2.76 at the truck stop

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information