+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Diesel Package?

Default What Diesel Package?

Hey guys, I haven't chimed in for a while. I've just been lurking. I have a 23 Billfisher (1983). I have always liked the way my Blackman handled over my buddy's 24 Skipjack (1973). However, since he repowered the Skipjack with a 240 hp Yannmar with a Bravo III duoprop, (I hate saying this) I find myself enjoying the Skipjacks ride more. The diesel transformed his old Skipjack into a fine machine.

In any event, if I was to repower my 23 Billfisher, what would be the best available package out there? I Can't have a Skipjack doing me like this...

Larry - Secret Spot

Larry,

I'm sure Mike will have a recommendation for you. I have the 26' Billfisher and repowered 2 years ago with the AD-41P. I couldn't be happier with it. Unfortunately Volvo doesn't make that engine anymore. Maybe the newer "D" series Volvo would work well. I agree that with the older boats, a repower can make them just like new again assuming they are kept up.

Good luck,
    Scott

Take a look at the new Volvo D3-190. 400 pounds lighter and 40 HP more power than my current setup looks like a good combo to me. If You're gas now, it looks like it will be small enough to fit in the existing box. If you're diesel now you could reclaim a foot of deck space by down sizing the engine box.

Mike

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/3E...D3_DPSEVCC.pdf
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

There ya go Larry. I knew Mike would have a good answer. Now let's see the Secret Spot with a new engine/outdrive soon.

Scott

Thanks guys, I knew the 190hp was coming. I wonder if there is a jury out on it yet? Spending that kind of money on new technology scares me. This is a one shot deal for me and I would feel a lot better if I knew the D3 was going to perform and show the dependability of the older diesel packages?

Thanks again,

Larry - Secret Spot

CHA CHING!! Maybe 30g's out the door? Suppose you're a plugger that will crusie at 15 knots and whose favorite tool is a cresent wrench? All the new diesel engines are new technology to meet new clean air standards. My 40a keeps on tickin'..........rt

I have a 23 outerbanks with a KAD32. Awesome could not be more stoked.
    20-21 kt cruise loaded,@3200 rpm. 22kts 1/2 fuel tank. Ave consumption is 3 Gal per hr. The 40 series are to big for the 23 unless it was originally set up for it. Your boat with the 350 will perform like a gem with the 32. My buddy put a D4 in his 23 Parker and he gets about the same performance as the 32. He does have a little faster cruise, but burns the same amount of fuel. He did have signifigant probs with the computer controll module.

Let me know if you have any questions

Josh

Default Diesel

Check that please. 3 gal per hour? How about 3 miles per gal. If you do 20 kts are you telling me that you get 7miles per gal.? Don't think so. If you did, you have a new invention there. 3 gals per hour means you are only going 9kts or less. You said you cruise at 20.
    Last edited by scuttlebutt; 09-09-2006 at 07:36 AM.

Larry, I too had a 23 with a kad32. Mine was an express. Awesome motor and what a great combo!! I agree its scary to buy one of the new Dseries not knowing what to expect or how there going to last. Less cubic inches and more HP is very scary. I would tend to think they wont last as long, but time will tell. The other thing thats really scary is that they have had a lot of problems with the electronic controls on the kad44 and thats what all the Dseries have. Havent heard of any problems yet, but there arent enough out I dont think.

It works out to 3.68 gals per hour at 20 kts. That is an average for a trip . taking into consideration trolling and ideling.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information