+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Diesel Package?

Default diesel package

That sounds about right with your ideling and slow trolling. If you went from point A to point B at 20kts you probably would have about a little over 2 miles per gal. I plan all trips at how much fuel I use by miles per gal. not by gals. per hour. Can eventually get you into trouble if you make say a 120 mile run south for tuna then run back. Like to plan my gas usage not taking into consideration of trolling and short stops but by distance traveled. I feel more comfortable that way.

Below is one corespondence I had with an outfit up in Oregon. I was looking for pricing and feedback regarding the same:

Thank you for your inquiry. The information below was provided by Volvo Penta. It looks like the D3 could work. The total cost for the package is $22,661. This includes the prop set and single station gauges.

The D3-190a DPS in a 23' 5000lb boat show a speed about 40.5mph with F6's. Realistic weight with fuel, gear, people etc. is more like 7000lbs, which slows it down to 32.5mph with F4's.

A 5.7Gi at 280hp with a DPS shows 46mph with F4's. And at 7000lbs more like 36mph

Thanks again,

Renée Dykes, General Manager

Cook Engine & Company, Inc.

(503)289-8466 (503)286-2836 Fax

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 8:58 PM
    To: sales@cookengine.com
    Subject: Volvo D3 190 DP

What are you offering the Volvo D3 DP package for ($). Does the package include controls, gauges, and harness?

Also, I have a 23 Blackman Billfisher. The dry weight is approximately 4600 lbs. I presently have a 1995 Volvo 5.7 GSI DP approx. 260 hp. Will the D3 190 DP package work for this type of application?

Thanks,

Larry

Those are some pretty impresive numbers for a diesel. Are your numbers close to what he estimated with the 5.7 gas engine?

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike, my performance has been closer to the second more realistic set of numbers for a gas package. I have opened the Secret Spot up to approximately 34-35mph in optimal conditions. However, speed is not what I am looking for. Running conservatively with a top speed 22kts at approximately 2800 rpms, I avg. less that 2 miles a gallon. Additionally, I found diesels to provide a lot more stability and low end power, while my gasser flucuates (rpm & speed) considerably in bumby stuff and a following sea. I would like to get my mpg up around 3. That would increase my range at least 33%.

Larry

Default Avoid the D3

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spot
    Below is one corespondence I had with an outfit up in Oregon. I was looking for pricing and feedback regarding the same:

Thank you for your inquiry. The information below was provided by Volvo Penta. It looks like the D3 could work. The total cost for the package is $22,661. This includes the prop set and single station gauges.

The D3-190a DPS in a 23' 5000lb boat show a speed about 40.5mph with F6's. Realistic weight with fuel, gear, people etc. is more like 7000lbs, which slows it down to 32.5mph with F4's.

A 5.7Gi at 280hp with a DPS shows 46mph with F4's. And at 7000lbs more like 36mph

Thanks again,

Renée Dykes, General Manager

Cook Engine & Company, Inc.

(503)289-8466 (503)286-2836 Fax

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 8:58 PM
    To: sales@cookengine.com
    Subject: Volvo D3 190 DP

What are you offering the Volvo D3 DP package for ($). Does the package include controls, gauges, and harness?

Also, I have a 23 Blackman Billfisher. The dry weight is approximately 4600 lbs. I presently have a 1995 Volvo 5.7 GSI DP approx. 260 hp. Will the D3 190 DP package work for this type of application?

Thanks,

Larry
    I talked with my trusted Volvo parts source, McDonnell Marince in Connecticutt specifically about the D3 engine and its longevity. They said it's a light weight car engine, good for about 3,000 hours and not rebuildable.

I hate to sound so ignorant! But I am... So, why do fresh water cooled engines(gas or diesel), in a boat, operated at low rpms, last far less hours than the same engine in a car or truck under stop and go heavy load conditions?

On my new Ford F250 PSD I check the hourmeter frequently for a miles/hours ratio and it looks like 45,000 = 1000 hrs. This is by running an engine @ 2200 RPM cruise when the redline is 3300. Our boats cruise @ 3000-3400 with a 3900 redline. We're running our trucks @ 66% every day, our boats are run @ 80% maybe once a week average. 5000 hrs on a PSD would equal approx 225,000 with this ratio; I've had 2 with over 305,000 still running strong! It's hard to get 5000 out of a high rev marine diesel. I think we just push a heavier load with a Blackman!

Default weight

Some boats are carring more weight than others (jeff)

Default Weight?

We all look pretty FAT to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information