+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kelp Beds 8/27

Default Kelp Beds 8/27

Took my son Nathan and one of his buds with Dad out for a little kelp bed fishin. Went out knowing that his bud gets sick and we may only fish 10 minutes before needing to go in. launched from Dana landing around 6 and got in line at the bait barge behind 7 or so boats. Line went quick, picked up a scoop of deans and ran to L.J. Current was ripping to the south and could not get our usual school of macs and smelt to set up behind the boat.

Fished for a couple of hours before seasickness took its toll, but only managed a couple of small calicos and a rather modest yellowtail. His friend and his dad were stoked to see a yellowtail and I realized it was the first one of the year for me. Didn’t look like any one else did to much at LJ either and by 10 or so the Kelp beds had been abandoned. Ran into M.B for some relief and docked at the Paradise point boat rental dock to go find the fishpond at the Barefoot bar and fed the overfed calicos and white seabass yet some more – good fun and quite a spectacle to watch what look like 30 pound whites turning on and slurping up live deans.

The DFG guy at the ramp weighed the calico and the yellow and said they were 0.9 lbs and 7.2 lbs. Like I said, pretty modest stuff.
    Brian on Old Blue, out

Brian,
    Cool of you to take out the kid who gets seasick. Glad you were able to catch a couple fish. The father and his son will probably remember that fishing trip for a long time.

Scott

Default Yeah...

Nathan and his buddy Micheal seem to be two of a kind when it comes to fishing. Micheal and his dad were unexpectedly hardcore and never gave up throughout the day. After some time in the bay he was ready for round two of trolling rebels outside the mouth of MB for bonito or macs before calling it a day.
    Brian on Old Blue, out

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information