+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh Water Recirculating Pump Rebuild

Default Fresh Water Recirculating Pump Rebuild

Finally took the pump housing off after removing the Thermostat housing. Found the impeller shattered and wear on the inside of the housing; sent it to a shop which sends their stuff up to LA for the rebuild if possible. Should find out in 4 days, I have more o-rings to replace than I would ever imagine!

NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

hi jeff....did your pump go bad or just leaking? mine has started to leak and sounds like i should do the same thing you are? shirley sends housing up to LA or did you do that? thanks for the info
    jeff fire escape

Jeff my pump went completely bad although I believe it was probably dripping for a long time. As for the repair I have not gotten this screwed in a long, long time ! I gave the rebuilder another impeller to replace my broken one, he said it would be done in 4 days....NOT! I received it 8 days later painted Yanmar Grey; so I bought a can of Volvo Green and when I sprayed the pump I was flipping the pump around and noticed a hairline crack in the back of the impeller, then two other cracks coming from a chip in the edge; I think the ba$tard$ dropped it! I picked up another impeller and dropped the pump back off at the shop yesterday, then called today @ noon to see if my pump would be ready by the end of the day. He said maybe Saturday and I told him I needed to schedule or reschedule Sunday trips; he said they soldered the impeller and it would be fine to install. I picked the pump up @ 4PM and it was the same as when I left it. I wanted to install the pump but damn it I believe you should treat these like an airplane, you lose a motor and you're going down! I don't want to be 60 miles offshore dead in 6-10' swells waiting for VA. I called the owner back and told him this wasn't going to work; he said bring it back on Monday and they will try it again; I told him he already f'ed me for 2 weeks and he would never get another chance!

I'm ordering a factory exchange unit Monday and getting this gorrilla off my back!

Finally got the pump installed last Thursday Night late after 2 attempts. Seem as though my buddy forgot to tell me the alternator bracket has to be removed also, that was my problem Wednesday night. Pay special attention to the O ring from the top of the pump to the bottom of the thermostat housing and the 2 O rings on the plastic pipe between the Themostat Housing and Exhaust manifold; one came out of the groove during assembly which leaked while adding coolant. We took the Thermo housing off and reset the O rings but it was difficult. Runs like a champ now!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 10-09-2006 at 10:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information