+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9-25-06 Halibit

Default 9-25-06 Halibit

Well if you want to know how to find and catch Halibit I suggest you talk Mike (No Slack) into a day on the water Mike showed me what to look for on the meter the tide conditions the bait the proper way set the hook and to tie the hooks I had a great day

Thanks Mike for all your help

Russ

One 5lbs
    One 5.5lbs

Does that make one 10.5 lbs fish????

Last edited by NoSlack; 01-30-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks for the invite Russ.

Russ and I teamed up on Sunday for a little halibut refresher course. We started out at my favorite halibut training spot and never needed to move more than 100 yards for a 7 fish day. (you know the spot Charlie, popped your cherry there a few years back)

I would consider late September to be the off season for halibut, so I was pretty happy we were able to put 2 keepers in the box before noon. Nothing big enough to brag about, but there was enough action for Russ and I to work out the kinks in our game.

Mike

P.S. Russ lucked out when I left my camera disk at home. Any chance you will share the mico butt photo?
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thanks for adding the photos. I forgot all about catching the brown rockfish. The photo I had for that species was pretty bad. I'll edit the rock fish ID post to include your photo.

Adding 18 points in the halibut category has all but sealed the deal for the 2006 tournament, unless I go nocturnal and score a Swordy in October

Unofficial Leader Board

Mike

Last edited by NoSlack; 01-30-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Default sword fish

Mike

If you need crew i`m in that would be a fun trip

Russ

Cool pics Russ.
    Looks like a nice day on the bay. My mouth is watering looking at those two young beauties on the cutting board. Fresh blackened/seared halibut is hard to beat!

Default learning

Scott

I learned more in a few hours with Mike than years of shooting in the dark.

I spent a few hours last night making up rigs several for each size I cant wait for next season to look for the big ones.

I have a friend that fishes just outside the Coral in that little bay he has pictures of 20 to 30 lbs fish that would be a fun way to spend a few hours.

Russ

PS sword fish at night isnt that your thing ?

Russ

I know about fishing with M.J. When I took Mike to SCI one time. He put a 70 points on the boat in the first few hours. I still haven't had the opportunity to fish halibut with him yet. I've said it before that Mike is secretly Aquaman. He thinks like a fish. He manages to sneak out to the local spots during weekdays (when most of us are working) and quietly slays big fish. It always amazes me how he never really ventures outside of 40-50 miles and still consistently outfishes most of us. Just goes to show you how good fishing can be in our local waters if you know what you are doing. When I grow up I wanna be like Mike.

It will never happen! You smile too much in your pictures and if you want to be like Mike you'll have to practice your "deer in the headlights" expression!

Ya,

Your right. I did try to be like Mike yesterday. I snuck out of work early and headed to the northern beaches. Made some lively macks and smelt. Broke off a sabiki hook deep in my finger (ouch). I know, Mike wouldn't have done that. Fished tight to the beach for nothing. Tried chunking the left over baits for the Mako slot in LJ Canyon. Got one good hookup that came off after a long run and that was it for the afternoon. Tomorrow I start sanding my hull down and will be panting her orange this winter. I'm working on my mustach too. Mike....Hope you don't mind the Mike envy talk. I think I'm done now.
    Scott

No problem Scott. It's been a while for me with the sabiki thing in the hand. My nornal self induced pain has to do with lipping a Lingcod or reaching into a halibut's mouth to retrieve a hook.

It was refreshing to see Russ make that mistake last weekend. It made me think I'm not alone at the bottom of the evolution chart.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information