Thread: Bearing replacement

Threaded View

Default Bearing replacement

Friday was suppose to be a afternoon cod trip followed by an evening of hooping.

200 yards from the ramp the water pump impeller I installed 2 weeks ago burnt up. I went with a volvo impeller and it had a tough time getting a prime in the 4 trips since install.

Lucky for me Phil was coming in from a cod trip and pulled me back over to the ramp. Thanks Phil

I thought I would run home and put the old impeller back in and make my hoopnetting commitment. After the install I give the outdrive the once over and find one of the bolts between the steering fork and helmet was missing.

Being a 4 day weekend I new I couldn't get that part before monday, so I went ahead with a little more maintenace. Pulled the outdrive to check the u-joints and bellows. Found one of the u-joints a little stiff, so I added that to the monday shopping list.

When I reached in to shake the stub shaft of the engine, I see those bearings are shot. Pulled the engine this morning and remover the bell housing to gain access to the stub shaft. Two more bearings on the shopping list.

I was able to mic the bearings and cross them over to something other than a Volvo number so I can pick them up locally for 1/3 the price.

If all goes well I'll slap the engine back in after lunch on monday.

Just another day in owning a 25 year old boat.

Mike

Last edited by NoSlack; 01-13-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thread Information