+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injection pump leak

Default Injection pump leak

Well, crap. The diesel drip coming from between the two halves of the fuel injection pump has turned into more than a drip. Can anyone ballpark me a price/time for a repair or replacement? Last I heard, they have to send the pump up to LA or Long Beach to some guru who takes the thing up the mountain to diagnosis the extent of the problem, then comes down and demands your first born as payment. Maybe not quite so dramatic but it sounded like it could be some $$$. Like most things, rumor has it that the pump is really easy to take off but not so simple to re-install correctly which of course means that labor is going to be a killer. Any words of advice?

The engine is a AQAD40B.

Never messed with the pump just the injectors.

In San Diego you will check with Advance Diesel Injection, 3134 Main Street, 619-232-5723. They also have a shop in Santee.

I remember a guy on J dock with a plastic doll did his for about $500
    Hijole

She was worth every penny until she sprang a leak and I think the pump rebuild was closer to $750

Sorry to hear about the injector pump leak. I never had problems with the pump but, like others I have had to replace just about every injector line in the engine (when I had the AQAD40B). I know someone who surely knows the answer.....Mike?
    Tenacious

In San Diego I would go with Advanced Diesel on main as well. Always been very helpfull and I though the price was right when they were done.

The injector pump is one of the few things I would leave to the pros.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

where is she now? Ever since she sprung a leak she's off the welcoming committee.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Will Advanced Diesel just do rebuilds or will they remove and replace the pump as well?

The street parking is very limited, and I've never been around the back to see if they have room for a boat.

I would give them a call and ask if they have a field service guy that would pull the pump and re-install it for you. They might be able to give enough over the phone support that you would feel comfortable enough doing it yourself.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default Pump Install

I think that I have heard that the installation of the pump is the hard part because you need a special gauge that reads runout (or something like that) in order to properly set the timing of the pump. That is, the timing is critical and just like a distributor in that rotation of the pump changes the timing.
    Brian on Old Blue, out

Default I did it.

Taking the pump out isn't bad. You have to take the water pump out and then the pump just pops off the back.
    Putting it back is a little tougher as you need to get the timing set right.
    The Volvo TDC tool makes it easier.
    You also need a dial indicator and some other special Volvo tools to help set up the indicator.
    I think the tools cost me about a hundred bucks not including the dial indicator.
    I pulled all my lines and then installed the indicator (it goes in the center of the pump) then I turned the engine over. When it gets to TDC the pin drops in the hole. Then I read what the indicator said. It's something like 2.8 mm. I checked a few times and then pulled the pump.
    When I put it back I just made sure to get the gears in the same place and then adjusted so that it was like it was before I pulled it out.
    I didn't do anything to the pump besides replace the o-rings.
    I imagine you could find a Bosch shop and have them rebuild the pump. Probably a lot cheaper than taking it to a place that works on Volvo.
    Hope that helped.

P

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information