Well today I retired my old 582 CRT Fishfinder with a new 585 unit; the older units were so large they had to be mounted in a cabinet or on the bridge deck as mine was. Now the newer models are so compact and thin you can mount them on top of the dash if you wish but I'm keeping mine down low for now to keep it out of the elements. The screen is just about the same size although much brighter (10,000 hours will do that to ya); it has a little more power output (1000 watts vs. 600); but most of all it has better sensing ability and the white line marker which I hope will help me find those big barn doors laying on the bottom! I previously replaced my old transducer with a new Airmar B260 1K unit with the high speed fairing block when I replaced the fuel tank last fall; we'll see if this combo increases the kill ratio on the DOGHOUSE. I found alot of fish and hotspots with that old 582 and it was pretty hard to cut the power cable and pull off the mounting bracket, I seriously considered putting the new unit on the other side of the bridge (where my old RADAR used to be on the bridge deck too but the new 1722 unit is up on the dash) and installing a transducer switch so I could use one or the other. Oh well, she won't be going in the attic just yet; I'll give the new unit 4-5 rockcod trips to get comfortable before I put her away for good. Does anyone have experence with the 585 and how do you like it? I have a newer Furuno GP 7000 on my 18' Bayrunner and the sounder portion works real well although I don't have alot of time running with it. The GPS side of the unit is a little harder to navigate through since I'm used to my Garmin 2010 on the DOGHOUSE which seems much easier to use.