+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long range Blackman trip planning

Scuttlebutt,

I like the name. Is it referring to a water cooler or the gossip around the water cooler?

You must be super excited about receiving the new boat. You'll be very happy with it.

Yale (El Patron) and myself (Tenacious) are set to depart on 6 Aug. Haven't gotten any confirmation that any other club members are taking their boat along. The departure on 6 Aug will primarily be a leisurely one. I plan to fish the banks (425, then parts south along the way) but, the primary emphasis is on getting down to Ensenada, filling up on fuel making bait and relaxing prior to the adventure begining. You are more than welcome to join us on the transit to San Martin. The chlorophyll and SST charts sure make the area below the lower 500 look like a good destination.

Welcome aboard.
    Give me a shout if you have any questions.
    (858) 229-2261

Scott

Default San Martin trip

Thanks for answering. Haven't got the hang of this web page yet. Do not have date yet for sea trials but hope it is right after the first. Might be a little to soon to make that trip till I spend more time locally. I plan on going straight down there and spend day or two then head out to the tuna grounds then head home. Don't plan on stopping at Ensenada this time. Have a good trip. Did you get the larger fuel tank put in? What year is your boat? Be careful of the fuel at the Coral. Reel Twins has there boat at the Blackmans now getting almost 20% water out of there fuel tank after getting fuel down there. Don't know when they got it but they were having trouble with engine and when they checked the fuel it was contaminated real bad. Saw container on the bench Monday. They have had there boat out iof the water for the winter but found out they have slip near me at the ASW base. Steve told me about your trip as I was going to go down there for a week with a friend of mine who has a 40ft trawler. Because of fuel costs we decided to cancel trip. His boat has long range but is slow at 7kts and sucks fuel even at that speed. We had six to go but to much time in transit. Yes, looking forward to the boat Had larger tank put in plus upgraded four scoop bait tank and full electronics pkg., all on a 12" screen.

Thanks for the warning. I guess things like that can happen anywhere. I heard of guys getting bad fuel even at Dana Landing. Guess I'll be checking my site glass often. The boat sounds rad. I look forward to seeing it preferably while you are hooked up on a bigeye or marlin.

Scott

Default long range trip

Thanks. By the way, you were the only person I have talked to that I didn't have to explain what Scuttlebutt means. They usually know the rumor but not the water fountain and that they are called that on Navy ships. "Rumor on the water" as I see it. Spent 32 years in the Navy so thought something Navy would be appropriate.

Congrats on completing 32 years on Naval Service and thanks for your contribution to the good old USA.

Oh I forgot to answer your other question as well....No I did not get an additional fuel tank installed in Tenacious. I plan to carry the extra 40 gal of fuel in jugs. The Tenacious is a 1984 Billfisher with a new AD-41 installed in 2004.

Scott

Phil (Knot Now),
    Any updates on your participation in the Cedros trip?
    Scott

Default Cedros trip

Scott,
    It doesn't look good for me.
    First, My buddy bill had a heart attack two weeks ago while out fishing. He is resting O.K. now, but I think a long-range trip on my Blackman is out of the question.
    Second, I was hoping to get new electronics, but I am not sure which brand after playing with Charlie's Raymarine set-up, i.e. I was somewhat disappointed.
    Third, It looks like I have a contract job for August.
    You guys have fun,
    Phil

Default Fishing trip

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin1
    Congrats on completing 32 years on Naval Service and thanks for your contribution to the good old USA.

Oh I forgot to answer your other question as well....No I did not get an additional fuel tank installed in Tenacious. I plan to carry the extra 40 gal of fuel in jugs. The Tenacious is a 1984 Billfisher with a new AD-41 installed in 2004.

Scott
    Thanks. I think you will have enough fuel. Sure want to here about the trip and the fuel side of it. Didn't know Tortuga had a fuel dock. Interesting. Hope you tell us all about it when you get back.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information