+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slop in Steering Yoke? Rust removal too.

Default Slop in Steering Yoke? Rust removal too.

Hi All,
    I pulled my outdrive off the other day looking for an oil leak.
    Have not found one yet. The seals look good and the trim cylinders aren't leaking.
    I am however concerned with the slop in the steering yoke or needle bearings. With the drive attached you can lift it about 1/8 inch is this normal?
    And while I am at it, the U-joints feel good but they are very rusty. Does anybody have any tricks for removing the surface rust?
    This is a 290 DP-C Out drive.

Thanks,

Peter

Default SLOP

Some slop is very normal.

There are two plastic bushing in the housing for the yoke that can be replaced (where the grease goes when you grease the stearing arm).
    Also there is a Stainless Steel bushing that goes into the "hat" that sometimes needs to be replaced. 1/8" movement would be on the "low" side of normal twist movement. LOL

Hey Peter
    The u-joints will get a little rusty but excessive rust indicates salt water intrusion thru bellow or loose clamps ( ck. and replace $70.00). As for the rust, knock off the heavy stuff w/ wire brush and wipe on naval jelly it works good. If their's any question on the joints replace, you can't go wrong.
    good luck
    Royal Hook

I rub the same grease I use for the bearing buddy on my hands and get them all greasy. They look like new everytime.
    Hijole

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information