+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm getting a new turbo, more power?

Hybrid View

Unhappy ??????

Hey Dirty E!

That engine on the Patron had exactly the hours that were on the tach. Period………That engine ran at idle after every “hot” stop almost without exception and had more oil changes that any diesel engine I own. Not as many as Mikes 50 hour changes but at the 100 hour number. Delo all the time. That hour number includes my personal F350 and a fleet of company Cummins powered trucks, trolling at 5.9 by the way does not constitute a hot stop.

As for your American contribution, I’m glad as an American your behind us, but Volvo Penta is a Swedish company. As a person of Swedish extraction hurrah, hurrah. Mike PM sent!
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I think I had my turbo rebuilt twice during the 5500 hour lifespan; once @ 2700 and the other around 42-4400. Not being able to reach 4000 W.O.T and seeing a little black smoke tint rising above the boat wake on flat glassy days were the telltale signs. I would also grab the turbo vane and check for sideplay and freedom of spin each time I changed the air filter. I think I had the injection pump rebuilt 3 times and we went through the injectors 4 times,changed the elbow once, intercooler twice, and heat exchanger once, replaced raw water pump complete once, probably 8 or so impellers; replaced the recirculating pump once, alternator 4 or 5 times and 2 starters.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    I think I had my turbo rebuilt twice during the 5500 hour lifespan; once @ 2700 and the other around 42-4400. Not being able to reach 4000 W.O.T and seeing a little black smoke tint rising above the boat wake on flat glassy days were the telltale signs. I would also grab the turbo vane and check for sideplay and freedom of spin each time I changed the air filter. I think I had the injection pump rebuilt 3 times and we went through the injectors 4 times,changed the elbow once, intercooler twice, and heat exchanger once, replaced raw water pump complete once, probably 8 or so impellers; replaced the recirculating pump once, alternator 4 or 5 times and 2 starters.
    Wow! That is a lot of hours .how many years did that take to rack up?
    26' billfisher

From 1995 to August of last year. And that was the second repower. The original Volvo package went from November 1987 until Spring 1995 with 4480 hours. A cracked oil pick up tube caused the motor to oil starve the upper end which led to the first repower.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Hey Dirty E!

That engine on the Patron had exactly the hours that were on the tach. Period………That engine ran at idle after every “hot” stop almost without exception and had more oil changes that any diesel engine I own. Not as many as Mikes 50 hour changes but at the 100 hour number. Delo all the time. That hour number includes my personal F350 and a fleet of company Cummins powered trucks, trolling at 5.9 by the way does not constitute a hot stop.

As for your American contribution, I’m glad as an American your behind us, but Volvo Penta is a Swedish company. As a person of Swedish extraction hurrah, hurrah. Mike PM sent!
    Uh professor, we are talking about the old Mac Attack, my boat, are you thinking we were talking about your boat? Hey Mike i dont think I need that info I was just curious if you ever questioned the hours, it really doesn't matter now, I'm just learning everyday what it takes to be a boat owner. No bad feelings its a used boat and only time and money from here on out. Erik

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information